Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Keep Calm . . . Craft On: Entertaining Fairies Edition

Joining Nicole today at Frontier Dreams

Some weeks ago, I had a few over ripe bananas and decided to make some banana bread.  Apparently, Coco has a book which states that fairies love banana bread.  Who knew?  I, of course, wanted to add walnuts, and Coco wasn't so sure the fairies like banana nut bread.  Ultimately, we agreed that she could just leave some of the bread without the nuts in it for them to eat.  And so she did.


Inside the toadstool house I made for her 2 years ago and which has hardly seen any play. Here she is on Christmas Day 2010 after having received it:



As you can see, it has begun to slouch with age.  She decided that the fairies needed more of a compound (apologies for the horrible indoor lighting):



And she also leaves the fairies notes.  In one, she asked how many fairies was she taking care of?  They responded 19.  Well, I overshot on that one and she decided they needed a much larger abode.  So, she went to the basement and hauled out the retired dollhouse, a relic from Christmas 2009 which saw little love.  However, now, it has been updated with milk paint to please the fairies!:


The fairies have also been eating well, as in addition to banana bread, they also enjoy biscuits and berries.  Two things which can usually be found in our home.  A few weekends ago, I had the bright idea to make fairy biscuits by using a straw to cut them from the dough.  File this one under #whydoIdothistomyself:




 Cutting out the biscuits.

Team work!

Almost ready for the oven.

Now, if we could just have this level of attentiveness to other activities!

Ta da!

Served!


Berries for the fairies.  Notice the plates are on placemats Coco made for them.

Lastly, my birthday was last week.  My thoughtful daughter asked the fairies to make something for me for my birthday.  I, however, was not allowed to read this note . . . and Coco can't really read and write well enough to pull this off on her own.  But she tried.  She asked me how to spell each word, but wouldn't tell me what she was doing.  I was not looking forward to my birthday at.all.  And was dreading having to come up with a gift for myself.  But the day was saved when I received my general counsel's season ticket seats to the White Sox game, on my birthday, which are the first row behind the dugout and the game started at 1:10.  So, I got to leave early, the weather was great and I enjoyed the afternoon with my kiddos and good friend, Jacki.  And then Coco forgot to leave the note until the night of my actual birthday.  And this is what the fairies made for me:


A flower, so that I always have one when I am out of fresh ones.

Coco's therapist has said that the fairies are very therapeutic for her.  That is why I write and answer her notes and create and help her create for them.

And lastly, here is my sweet girl with yarn purchased this weekend at Chicago's own YarnCon.  Her selection is 100% Blue Faced Leicester.  Yikes, she has expensive taste just like her mama! She has started some mittens for herself.  Which, sadly, she will probably still need in Chicago's spring weather!



What are you working on?

2 comments:

  1. Your home sounds full of activity! I love the tiny little place-mats she made. So Fun! Found you through KCCO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just dropping by via Frontier Dreams. I love the whole fairies imagination! Your daughter is bubbling with creativity. It is wonderful that you let her fly with it!
    Luciana

    ReplyDelete